Sometime during the two weeks before Christmas, I planted the creeping fig with my usual TLC and meticulous ritual:
- dig a hole twice the size of the rootball;
- fill the hole with rainbarrel water three times;
- add finished compost to the bottom of the hole;
- place plant in hole;
- cover roots;
- mulch the immediate area deeply; and
- think pure and photosynthetic thoughts.
The lavish watering will stop soon. Creeping fig is a drought-resistant plant yet will require vigilant pruning to stay within the space I've allotted for it.
Creep onward and upward, little figgy! Be a lush backdrop for next year's calla lilies.