Tuesday, January 31, 2012

don't leave january without pms

Among the many blogs I follow, there's one that often posts "A Year Ago on
[ blog name withheld due to cowardice and embarrassment ]." So far in January 2012, this title has appeared five times on my Google Reader list of things I might be expected to want to read. While admitting that I DID choose to subscribe, I find this title off-putting at best. When I click on it, there's nothing there but a link to the year-old posting -- sometimes along with additional links to postings from the same date in previous years. So I don't usually click back to "A Year Ago ..." even though I might learn something worthwhile from this blogger's warmed-over work.

Granted, I often refer to my own previous postings, but I always present a new context for the old material, and don't usually go back to an arbitrary date.* But now, knowing that saying "never" can be a mistake, I take you back to January 31, 2011, when I revealed my astonishment at the concept of a Color of the Year which could be officially designated by PMS (Pantone Matching System) number.

So it was that a couple of weeks ago I visited the Pantone website to learn that Tangerine Tango (PMS 17-1463) is 2012's Color of the Year, and that the fashion industry will "dance into the New Year with this vivacious and appealing reddish orange." Alas, I must sit this one out, for the reasons outlined in my blog posting of  February 3, 2011.

Here's Pantone's description of what I will be missing: “Sophisticated but at the same time dramatic and seductive, Tangerine Tango is an orange with a lot of depth to it,” said Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute®. “Reminiscent of the radiant shadings of a sunset, Tangerine Tango marries the vivaciousness and adrenaline rush of red with the friendliness and warmth of yellow, to form a high-visibility, magnetic hue that emanates heat and energy.” Well, I don't drink Red Bull either. Timed-release energy is magnetic enough for me, and looking at a colorful sunset rarely fails to provide that rush we all relish at close of day.

Unlike myself, the fashion industry takes Pantene's Color of the Year very seriously, which tells me why it's so hard to find anything in navy blue these days.

- - - - -
*Recently I regretted not looking back at my posting of January 7, 2011. It was sad to miss National Bean Day two years in a row, but the special date is now enshrined in my Google Calendar as an annual event.


No comments:

Creative Commons License
POSToccupations by Frances Talbott-White is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License